Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A day in the life of an American worker series continues -- working to define the modern American labor force

Today, please meet Elise, Operations Manager, Defense Contractor (located in Virginia).

Elise desribes her typical day: 
I get to work at 7:30 and leave at 4.  I mainly work on any issues or problems the different functional groups are having with scheduled work that week.  Since I have been here a while I know a lot of the goings on behind the scenes than others, so I do get asked for guidance on different things.  I do reports for my boss and the VP of our group on what current actions/problems we have.  The most interesting and varied thing I do is Incident and Problem Management so anything that does not follow processes or goes wrong I get to investigate.  Occasionally, I go to our main contractor’s office, not too far away.
Elise enjoys her co-workers, has a good boss, and works in an office with a Keurig machine and three lunch rooms, but eats lunch at her desk.  When asked if she wakes up happy to go to work, she responds, “indifferent.”  The worst part of her day is commuting and meetings. 
Elise receives a salary and is not a member of a union.  She wears suits or dress pants with blouses or sweaters to work.
In my series of questions, I asked, “does your work make the world a better place?”  Elise believes that she contributes to the world through her volunteer work – teaching English as a second language, being a Pen Pal to a child in order to encourage reading, and volunteering with a local soccer league.    
Elise feels that she is a typical American worker, “even though my kids can never explain [my work] exactly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment