Monday, September 3, 2012

Celebrate labor today


My thirteen year old son heard a food store commercial about buying food for your Labor Day celebration, and said, “Why would anyone want to celebrate Labor Day?”  I asked him what he meant and he said, “why would I want to celebrate having to go back to school?”
I’m sad that my son, who was always excited about the start of elementary school, doesn’t want to start school.  I think it is mostly because of the early start time and then the day to day annoyance of homework. 
I’m also sad that my son has no understanding of the importance and significance of Labor Day.  To him and I guess, to many people in this country, it is just the last day off before school starts, the end mark of summer, the last day to wear those white clothes.
My first year at Cornell – School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR), a school focused on American workers, Cornell scheduled classes on Labor Day.  That schedule did not go over well with the ILR students and talk of a protest and skip day launched.  In the interest of not having first years miss their first day of classes, my recollection is that either teachers cancelled their classes or classes started the next day.  Now, Cornell’s academic calendar recognizes Labor Day as a holiday.
The United States Department of Labor explains the reason for the Labor Day holiday:
Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
To learn more about Labor Day, check out DOL website at http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm.
In addition to making sure that Michael has a fun last weekend of summer, finishes his math packet, I hope I can get him to see that Labor Day is more than just the last day before school starts.
My son has given me continued inspiration to write this blog, to work on my proposal to teach a modern American labor class, and the hope that Labor Day 2013, won’t just be all about the sales, bbqs, and putting away those white shoes and pants (and for Harry, his Hawaiian shirts).

1 comment:

  1. I'll be honest...I really have never quite understood the significance of Labor Day either. I vaguely remember the rise of labor unions being taught in school...kind of like military history was always Euro-centric and skipped over American history related to the Pacific. Growing up in Ohio...a huge Labor Union state, one of my early pre-school memories was walking up to the elementary school to bring my dad lunch while he was on a picket line with fellow teachers. Now-a-days, the labor movement seems to be seen as an enemy of the American People and our economy...A modern American Labor class would be a great class. So many things previous generations fought for...work place safety, livable wages, 40 hour work weeks...things we take for granted as always having been that way...current generations really don't know how all that came about.

    ReplyDelete