Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Day in the Life of Sheri -- senior writer and technical editor

Sheri, Senior Writer and Technical Editor, employed by Aquent LLC (working as a contractor for Aquent’s clients), says she doesn’t feel like the typical American worker because her work doesn’t feel like work (HBG comment:  can you get a better job than that!).
Sheri likes her contractor status because she gets to write and edit for different clients.  Her day varies depending if she is on-site at a client or if she is working at home through teleconferencing and Skype calls.  Her contractor status gives her the ability to do what she loves – write and edit and not get bogged down in management meetings.
Although Sheri has the pleasure of working from home, she doesn’t feel isolated in her job: 
My work as a technical editor is not as solitary as it may seem, because it involves interviewing Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), who may be computer programmers and modelers, scientists, hydrogeologists, government planners, water conservation experts, engineers, lawyers, etc. (This is true for all writing and editing I do. I’ve interviewed law firm partners, business owners and executives, doctors, the adult children of genocide survivors.) Sometimes materials already exist and need to be edited for voice, style, grammar. Many times I’m creating new content. Technical writing and editing is highly collaborative. It requires intellectual curiosity and better-than-average communication and people skills.
When Sheri works on-site at a client’s office, she follows their dress code.  At home, she gets to wear whatever she likes and the big perk is – no shoes!
Sheri’s biggest job hazard:  writer’s block.  HBG:  doesn’t sound like that happens too often.

HBG:  Do you feel that you contribute to making our world a better place to live?
S:  That question is certainly on my mind when I accept new projects. I cannot write or work for anyone or any organization that goes against my values. I do my best to use my writing to do good work. In the past I’ve worked pro bono for a women’s shelter, I’ve written letters for charitable causes, and I just offered my services to Obama’s reelection campaign people in NY. I’m also writing two books which I hope will be educational and valuable to readers.
Sheri is currently enjoying her work at a state water management agency, whose work is to protect the area’s water supply and environment.  How could you not like working for a entity with the tagline: “We do the coolest work on the planet!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment