Friday, September 9, 2011

The Most Unthinkable Job

Today I was going to post the second installment of my Personal Labor Journal and answer the question – did you know that I worked at a psychiatric hospital?  Since this blog is about American labor – how can I not write about President Obama’s new job-creation plan?  Those posts will have to wait. 
Today, I want to dedicate my blog to the men and women of our military and to the passengers on United Flight 93. on September 11, 2001– the people with the most “unimaginable” job. 
This morning, with my cup of coffee on hand, I checked my email and saw an email from a boy scout in my son’s troop.  The email was titled “A Scout(master) is Brave” -- echoing the words in the boy scout pledge.  The scout posted an article that appears in the Style section of today’s Washington Post (click below to see the article).
here

Police, firefighters, military members, and many other American workers wake up every day knowing that on that day they might put their lives at risk due to the requirements of their jobs.  When they woke up on the morning of September 11, 2001, Major Heather “Lucky” Penney and Colonel Marc Sasseville (Michael’s scout leader) probably had not have imagined their days mission – to fly their fighter jets and take down a domestic passenger plane full of innocent people, by using their fighter planes as a weapon. 
The chilling words I read in the Washington Post this morning – “’We don’t train to bring down airliners,’ said Sasseville.”
Certainly, the passengers on flight 93 did not train to bring down an airliner.
Yet, those were their jobs that awful day.  The jobs of our military members and the job of those brave people on flight 93.  Jobs done to save others. 
Thank you Major Heather “Lucky” Penney, Colonel Marc Sasseville, and all the workers whose jobs it is to protect our country each day.

To the passengers on flight 93, as we say in the Jewish religion, may your memory be a blessing. 

2 comments:

  1. All of our jobs changed that day, maybe not permanently, but each of us took on a little extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this fateful day as an image burned into my brain that will never leave. We were outside when Flight 93 wobbled in the skies overhead and we wondered what was wrong with that plane. Little did we know of the horrific disaster about to happen. That day all our lives changed and this country became united as it had not been for a long time. I remember watching and listening to all the news. I will never forget how the beauty of that Sept 11th day turned so ugly so fast. It was later reported that the 911 call came into our local SP barracks. I know those people whose lives were lost and lives changed forever have a special place in the hearts of all of us. I for one, will never forget and I don't know if I will ever forgive those that destroyed so many innocent lives. Your words on this day are a true tribute of how many seen this event. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete