Monday, September 5, 2011

That's the way the cookie crumbles


I’ve worked the last 8 semesters at George Mason University as an adjunct professor.  I started off teaching business law (thanks Laura Poms for suggesting I apply) and then was asked to teach commercial law. 

I absolutely love teaching college age students.  Commercial law was challenging to teach.  The first thing I thought of when I looked at the course material, were words I heard my law school commercial law professor say – “did you know that you can write a check on a paper napkin.” 

That thought led to any interesting discussion of commercial paper and how our lives have changed with electronic banking.  Before electronic banking, people could actually write checks on things like napkins, watermelons, and even cows and underpants (although the guy who wrote his check on underpants was cited for contempt of court – note to all – don’t pay your speeding ticket on a check written on underpants). 

Over the course of three semesters, I worked hard at making some of the not so interesting topics in commercial law, interesting, drawing on my work experience from the Commercial law branch at Department of Justice, my years in private practice, and interesting articles in the news.  My hard work paid off when one of my student evaluations said, “Law and the like may not be the most exciting of courses to teach so it is what it is in terms of material, but Professor Shubin didn't make it seem that way. I came to class always excited to learn, so I thank her for that.”   And another said, “I would take her courses again in a heartbeat. It doesn't even have to be anything to do with Law. If she taught Physics I would still take her.”
This fall, the commercial law class is being taught by a new adjunct professor; mixing things up and trying out something new.  I’ve been lucky to have classes for 8 semesters.  I hope to get back in the queue for either commercial law or business law.  Or to have the opportunity to teach something new -- American Labor History and Law.   I hope that sometimes when the cookie crumbles, it will lead to a new cookie recipe!
 Over the summer, I wrote my personal labor journal, the story of my work history.  I’ll share that on my blog soon.  I’m hoping this blog will help me write the next chapter in my work journal

No comments:

Post a Comment